Thursday 31 July 2014

Equal Rites



Soooo….this *might* be a little filler before I start on something bigger. If you are the obnoxious anonymous reader I think you are and you’re criticising me just because you read the title and you’re rolling your eyes and sighing “another Discworld novel? That goddamned bitch deserves a smacking with a pogo stick” well then FUCK YOU.

If, on the other hand, you’re delighted to read my review, I apologise, and please do carry on reading.
(I will not ever censor my cursing. As Stephen Fry put it: “The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a fucking lunatic.” Also I think this is the second time I quote Fry on my blog. Obviously he’s a very wise man.)


Equal Rites is the third volume in the Discworld series, and the fourth I’ve read so far. It’s very different from the others; there is not a trace of Rincewind, who was the main character in the previous Discworld novels. This novel is all about witches and in particular a young girl who is chosen to be a wizard, since she is the eighth daughter of an eighth son (eight being the magic number on the Discworld). One problem remains: only men can be wizards, and the thought of a woman, or even a nine-year-old girl to be a wizard is preposterous. Hence the pun in the title.

The characters were brilliant and very original, as usual with Terry Pratchett, and I do love how he can bring life to inanimate objects – sometimes literally. But all in all there was less humour in this story than I was used to. Still, there were some great one-liners like “magic has a habit of lying low, like a rake in the grass” and “the Things had all the grace and coordination of a deck-chair”.

I do think that I like the Rincewind stories more than I like the Witch stories. It might be a bit early to say though – I still have 47 Discworld novels to go.

I’m not sure if I’m despairing or rejoicing when I think about that.

Until next time,

Bejoes

No comments:

Post a Comment