Thursday 25 December 2014

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves


When I packed for New Zealand, I knew I had to bring a few books. Last time I went on a holiday it was to America for two weeks, and I was stupid enough to bring just one book with me- which I finished before I even saw a plane. And unfortunately there aren’t that many bookstores on Hollywood Boulevard (actually, the only one I saw only sold one book and that was because it was a scientology book.)
So I brought several. I brought one travel-sized library book which was really not my style so I never bothered finishing it or reading the first 100 pages, I brought Name of the Wind, and I brought this one. (And I bought The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year at the airport, so technically, I brought 4.)


The blurb on the cover didn’t really say much. It’s about a girl who talks about her past, and you get the sense that she had to go through some tough stuff. You get intrigued. You get sucked in because the writing style reads easily.
You get to know this girl. You start to know her likes and dislikes. Her personality.
And then, about two hundred pages in if I recall correctly, she mentions something out of the blue and your perspective of things just shift. Drastically.
That’s skilful writing.
(And no, I really can't say anything else. That would be spoiling.)


I am probably going to recommend this book to everyone I know.

Until next time,

Bejoes


No comments:

Post a Comment